Well Its Tweeking Time BBC iron heads NEWBIE Here

Tech Related Discussion

Well Its Tweeking Time BBC iron heads NEWBIE Here

Postby star393 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:16 pm

First thanks for letting me join,I came to learn like everyone else.

Long ago in a far far world was oem only parts and a group of people wanting to go faster, it is now called Old School and thats me. It was a sport of talent and trial and error not money. It grew into money and its called drag racing pro stock. some of us got left behine without deep pockets but still have the thirst for the same. We do what we can but can never keep up but it was a nice ride to were we are now in what i call a candy store. Credit cards and how much HP do you wanta buy plane and simple. Out of the box and fly. Along the way the talent has demished but still alot of us around yet.
Iam from Yellow Bullet seen Chads post and found his link so i decieded to join. I can learn some more here and put practical experence to terms with moden knowledge we all learned , blow ,throats, seats, runner lengths, runner volume, roof floor all the normal terms we now use as standards.
Long ago i ported a set of gm 990 bbc heads using basic knowledge of seat of the pants back then but have been dam close to todays learned info we all share and some still keep a secert. OPP,s So iam a 4 speed car yep old school 538 302 first and bbc,s that rpm to 9500 plus and seen plenty of 10,000 out of the water big foot and no rev limiter. My 990,s bit the dust last year walls were ported to withing .040 thin and water rotted from the inside thur the exhaust port just to thin to braze or weld iam pretty good at cast iron they just cant expand and cold evenly to braze they keep cracking,so i bought a set of dart 345 irons time to let the 990,s go. My 990,s were ported to 326 intake and 150 exhaust, CCed sealed without valve. they worked great to 10,000 well only the slip @ 3500# at 931 144 can tell on top of my 541 tall deck motor truck block. 1.6700 triple springs and 5.500 valves 385 seat and 960 over the nose. I raised the exhaust roof .300 and broke into water several times getting them done,i installed 2.300 and 1.940 exh valves in them also at 11/32". Geometery was a bear being the valves were so tall and stud a nd stems get closer as you go up and harder to correct.
The dart irons have alot of wonderful added new updated features and come 345 and 129 LOL the grinder has already been eating away iron but not to crazy this time. So Chad iam looking for alittle nudge on does and donts this time around and catch up with the times. We would all like to own a flow bench and thats another life all by itself LOL. I run a wide exh seat .080 and with a 25 degree back cut up against the seat. I fit the top cut of the exh bowl on the chamber side to what fits the chamber best around 15 degrees,to the top of the exh seat. I butt up a 60 degree to the inside dia leading into the throat and carry that into a 70 degree as far as i can into the throat. Ah throat ,another sicence, even iam still learning someting we didnot give a name to or not much sicence to, and was no flow benches back then, as one of my heros did seat of the pants jenkin,shepard,dyno Don. Track testing, like us all. Percentage of throat verses valve diameter. Some flow bench numbers helping to cut down track time. The intakes 15 degrees top into a 45 .060 wide seat carried into a 60 70 degree angle into the throat with a 25 degree back cut on the valve. I dont get into ditching the intakes yet still getting the basics down pat. I cleaned up the darts on the intake ports and raised the roof on the exhausts to the exit hand blended the chambers and will match to the intake manifold as the last step, when i get them ready to mount to block. Iam hoping to out flow my 990,s iam sure they will but my 990,s have larger runners to the pockets then the nice roof takes over at the turn into the throat of the darts. I would like to know what my 990,s flow as they are wild for sure. Chad ? could these 345,s ever get to flow 425 or better and 315 plus on the exh side?? If i had the money it would have been one of the 380,s plus they make now super stuff. I have Pics if you want to see.
I have a set of new pontica pro stock heads 18 degrees 427 that ive been working on no push rod holes I am making my own shaft stands to place the push rod outside the intake runners so thats why i did not get carried away buying something bigger right now. I wanted to go racing this year with something. The price was right buying new Darts 345,s so i went with them. Ive been doing my own heads for 35 years now for just the family and myself. Ive bought alot of equipment over the years to get the job done. The 427,s will be plenty for me to have fun with on all motor,with a sheet metal intake that i also have,from a old pro stock team. Ive learned how to build a good bottom end over the years and to with stand my madness of 9500 plus in a bbc. Alittle bit of guidence wpould be so much app. from someone who does this for a living and has a flow bench. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Douglas aka star393
I go were not many play 9500 rpms plus with a bbc
star393

Postby Chad Speier » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:49 am

Call me and let's visit. Better than typing! :)
Chad Speier
Chad Speier

Re:

Postby star393 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:51 pm

Chad Speier wrote:Call me and let's visit. Better than typing! :)

That would be cool. zip code? Have alittle time to kill hurt at home recouping. since then 990,s rotted thru walls in exh port retired 990,s bought 345 iron eagles for back up. Walls to thin to braze or weld. even super slow cooling they kept cracking, oh well. like 345,s better anyway lmao.

Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas
star393

Re: Well Its Tweeking Time BBC iron heads NEWBIE Here

Postby star393 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:56 pm

Don't tell me your dogs name is Todo ?????? :D :D
star393

Return to General Talk