Reworking Pro Comp SBF heads

Tech Related Discussion

Reworking Pro Comp SBF heads

Postby jmarkaudio » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:26 pm

Yes, I know, but a local guy here is looking to step up the Pro Comp heads he has. The engine just lost a lifter, it had about 600 passes on the engine so it was time. The heads were bought new but the hardware scrapped and replaced with better components, why they have managed to survive. It's a 430" running a roller cam and E85, car runs 6.30's in the 1/8. Chad, is this something you have time for, are interested in doing, do the castings have enough material...
Mark Whitener

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.
jmarkaudio

Re: Reworking Pro Comp SBF heads

Postby Chad Speier » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:58 am

What is his time frame? I just did some work on a set of SBC. Reworked the chambers, sized the throats, sized the pinch, sized the exhaust, good valve job. I wouldn't spend a ton on them..
Chad Speier
Chad Speier

Postby jmarkaudio » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:00 am

I guess since he has them he doesn't want to trash them, it will likely need new valves and springs anyway with as many runs as are on them. I guess the question is would he gain enough to be worth it, or how much more would newer better castings run? It is a bracket engine and was very consistent, but since he is freshening it up he is looking to improve performance. You know the drill, always looking to go faster..
Mark Whitener

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.
jmarkaudio

Postby Derek Stewart » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:06 am

The sbf heads are even worse than the sbc procomps, I'm completely reworking a set of 190cc heads right now, lots of work!
Derek Stewart

Return to General Talk