ARP Ultra-Torque question

Tech Related Discussion

ARP Ultra-Torque question

Postby curtis reed » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:34 am

Has anyone else noticed that you have to increase the torque number to get the same stretch? I had to go up at least 8lb-ft to get the minimum amount of stretch on my rod bolts. Now I am wondering about my main studs and head studs since this is the first time I have used this lube. I does seem to be really consistent which is what they say is the best attribute of it, but I haven't seen where they say to increase torque numbers when using it. Just wondering.

Curtis
curtis reed

Re: ARP Ultra-Torque question

Postby Chad Speier » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:30 am

My engine I just put together I noticed it as well. I used the stuff in the package that came with the head bolts. I always just used oil on them, but thought this was better.. I think it took 59lbs to get what I wanted with a 3/8 bolt.
Chad Speier
Chad Speier

Postby curtis reed » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:46 pm

I am running Callies rods and they sent the Extreme Lube #3 when they were new. I was to the point of reassembly this year and forgot the get any of that lube so I got some of the new ARP at my local speed shop. I had tested the Extreme lube against the old ARP Moly and the results were very close on torque readings at 75-77lbs-ft to get the .004-.005 stretch. Had to go to 83-85lbs-ft this time. Glad to know someone else saw this too.

Curtis
curtis reed

Postby Malvin » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:11 pm

You can buy the CMD Extreme Lube #3 here I have been using the CMD extreme pressure lube for a long time :)
For efficiency and convenience of application, CMD Lube #3 is available in 4 oz. tubes and 14 oz. cartridges. CMD Oil is available in 4oz. tubes.
Case of 24/4 oz. tubes
Case of 10/14 oz. cartridges
(CMD Lube #3 only)

http://www.cmdlubeoil.com/extreme_press ... cants.html
Malvin

Postby curtis reed » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Thanks Malvin, but being ABLE to get it wasn't the problem. I was just ready to assemble and didn't want to wait.

Curtis
curtis reed

Postby star393 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:33 am

curtis reed wrote:I am running Callies rods and they sent the Extreme Lube #3 when they were new. I was to the point of reassembly this year and forgot the get any of that lube so I got some of the new ARP at my local speed shop. I had tested the Extreme lube against the old ARP Moly and the results were very close on torque readings at 75-77lbs-ft to get the .004-.005 stretch. Had to go to 83-85lbs-ft this time. Glad to know someone else saw this too.

Curtis

Controlled heat treating and material mixture is so much better now days but things still vary alittle ARP and SPS still being tops but yes the ultimate is stretch and you will find that some are high and some low but pulling them to size is the biggest important detail to torqueing rod bolts. If you find one pulling up to low or extremely to high don't use it. Not worth a motor. Pulling to stretch is how we find bad bolts. Me I use only oil and I always request torque figures with oil as there is times when you just don't have the same lube when you need it the most.
I go were not many play 9500 rpms plus with a bbc
star393

Postby racear2865 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:01 pm

ARP extreme lube is NOT Moly base. Totally different animal.
reed
racear2865

Postby curtis reed » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:51 am

racear2865 wrote:ARP extreme lube is NOT Moly base. Totally different animal.
reed

Yeah, that was two years ago, but thanks.

Curtis
curtis reed

Return to General Talk